Monday, December 2, 2013

Leaping: the perks of embracing change, risk, and discomfort

This is a concept I've been trying to nail down for a while. Still don't quite have it, but it's a start. In essence, I feel the need to change my surroundings. I want to seek new opportunities and meet new people. I want to hear new sounds and see from new perspectives.

The thing is, we all do. Somewhere inside us we all want to "travel" or "See the world."
The problem is, we convince ourselves that life won't let us.
The reality is, we are the only thing standing in our way.

It is okay to get comfortable and stay where you are, but so few times in our lives does the itch to take a risk grow so strong that we feel the need to change. I have already let a few of those moments pass me by, and I won't let it happen again. It is in those moments we have the greatest chance to land on our feet if we leap, leaving behind any chance of regret.

So, here ya go. I love you for reading.




Love note from a traveler
I led you to a horizon,
an overlook of life-breathing fields
to revive our starved desire,
yet when the Sun’s arms reached for us,
pressed their welcoming palms to our faces
and unlatched the dark doors
of cloudy futures, you resisted
 
the glistening meadows ahead, spoke
worry of risk as I toed the cliff to freedom,
spoke excuses that crept up my back
like the impatient fingers of children
tugging my shirt to leave, return home
to familiar dark rooms and dust and patterned walls
who mimic patterned days,
 
the rows of houses,
squares of cement and scheduled time
to lament invented struggle, to speak hatred
of humdrum, of wishes to be led
to new horizons, unknowing
of my plans to return,
to toe that cliff and wait for westward winds
 
to catch my arms,
outstretched as they are,
to embrace the gift of endless sky
and abandon the hands
tying down my shirtwaist so
I may leap toward freedom and leave
in the dust a reminder of where I once stood.

No comments:

Post a Comment