Thursday, July 12, 2012

An introduction...

I am writing this under the assumption that eventually people will look at my blog, and of those viewers, one or two may care about what I have to say. I am a 25 year-old high school English teacher in the Chicago suburbs, and a few events prompted me to start this blog, the first being a moment of inspiration this past school year.

There are several perks to teaching (and of course, several reasons people look down on teachers), but perhaps the most beneficial aspect of my job is the rare encounter with a student who is so intelligent and ambitious that it rubs off on everyone in the room--including the teacher.

Last year, I watched one of my senior journalists survive the college carousel, the up-and-down routine of applying to colleges and tweaking admission essays that becomes so methodical it makes one dizzy. At the beginning of the year this student was undecided on his major, his school, and what life beyond high school would throw at him. I saw this as a 'teaching moment,' and offered him the best advice I could. When May arrived, this student had not only chosen a college, he had transformed into a confident young adult who convinced himself to pursue his dreams--and convinced me to pursue mine.

G.K. Chesterton once said that when we lose sight of what we stand for, "we must try to recover the candour and wonder of the child." This was proven true with my student, who, while young and ignorant to the world, possessed a child-like passion that would defy any limits in the way of his pursuit. He reminded me how much I loved to write, a love that began a long time ago, and urged me to share my work. He was the first unbiased person (meaning, first person unrelated or connected to me) who ever looked me in the eyes after reading something I wrote and said, "You can do this."

Now, maybe that 17 year-old kid's idea of 'good writing' is a bit skewed, but I don't much care about being a 'good writer'. I simply wish to write and share. I like to write. But the idea of sharing my thoughts with people outside my very tight circle seemed risky, at least until that kid inspired me to "recover the candour and wonder" of my childhood. I want to thank him, although he is completely unaware of his impact on me and I may never hear from him again (the life-long impact that can be gained through the briefest of moments is yet another perk to the teaching profession).He is a big reason this blog exists.

I will continue to post new poetry and thoughts as often as possible, unless feedback from you requests otherwise.

Thanks again for reading!

JN

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Jake. So true how one little moment in time can impact us...look forward to hearing more!
    Love, Aunt Chris.
    PS I've never followed a blog before, so tell me if its not ok to sign my name, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting yourself out there is tough. This choice you've made is brave. What you write is who you are, and to share that with anyone--hell, openly encourage "friends" on facebook to venture on over here--is downright bold. Congratulations. May it be cathartic and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete