Thursday, July 12, 2012

Love, Life, and other Games Lost

I crafted the art of
Love in the Moment,

Knew just the way to grip her back
And make her feel like it was real,
Spoke whispers that sounded scripted because they were;

I had a way of making foreign sheets feel familiar
And convincing her into connections
That I held high, stretched until they stiffened
like a rope tugging too much weight,

then I would watch it snap and shatter
what hung below, splatter into
something for which I felt nothing
only because I wouldn’t let myself watch,
or listen.

            He told me in a tavern that night
That he had never been loved,

            And I laughed at his lament
Of such a silly thing,

            And he laughed at my taunting
pretending he agreed,

            And though his cries I did not hear,

this rope did not snap,

And I wish it had,
like every other thing that ever loved me,

When I saw him swaying from
The creaking rafters in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant and thought provoking! You have such a way of capturing the desire of a fuller life and reality, in such a creative way. . . I love having to wrap my mind around your poetry, it's like finding gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so powerful and so well-crafted. Your work creates its own reality so quickly that it is able to casually comment on humanity like a photograph. It is indeed a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the comments!

      Delete